Log in Join Grass Roots Action

163 Companies Receive Worker Safety Recognition At AMI Conference on Worker Safety, Heath and Human Resources

Tuesday, March 14, 2000

More than 160 meat and poultry companies received Safety Recognition Awards for Achievement in Workplace Safety during a special awards luncheon at this year’s American Meat Institute Foundation Conference on Worker Safety, Health and Human Resources.

Designed and administered by the National Safety Council (NSC), the AMIF awardsprogram encourages member employers to improve their safety performance through the establishment of sound safety and health programs at the plant level. The program recognizes plants that have achieved a high level of safety performance as part of a continuing effort to reduce occupational injury and illness.

The awards are based on an evaluation of each eligible plant’s actual safety performance, which is measured against Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data, as well as its implementation of various key components of an effective safety and health program, which is tabulated through a NSC-designed plant questionnaire. Out of the 1,500 points available in the combined categories, 900
(60%) may be earned based on the outcome of statistical analysis of the plant’s injury and illness data performed by NSC’s staff. The remaining 600 points (40%) may be earned by completing the safety program questionnaire, which has been designed to measure the comprehensiveness of safety program implementation in several key areas, such as ergonomics.

Twenty-eight plants received the distinguished Award of Honor (1,250-1,500 points) -- the highest award a plant can receive. Eighteen plants were recognized with the Award of Merit (1,000-1,249 points), 25 plants were awarded the Award of Commendation (750-999 points) and 63 plants received the President’s Citation (500-749 points). In addition, 79 plants received the Golden Star Award, which recognizes worker safety achievement in the past year. In total, 212 plants were recognized by the 1999 AMIF Safety Recognition Awards Program.
"The 1999 Safety Recognition Awards reflect the meat ndustry’s commitment to improving safety performance and reducing occupational injury and illness," said AMI President J. Patrick Boyle. "The fact that over 200 plants were recognized by a distinguished program administered by the National Safety Council is testament to the impressive progress the industry is making in all areas of worker safety, including hazard revention and ergonomics. This program is a success story for employee safety and health."

The AMI Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to research, education and information that benefit the meat and poultry industry. Originally created in 1944, the AMI Foundation today solicits grants from government, industry and other organizations to fund a broad range of food safety, worker safety, nutrition and consumer information projects.

For more information contact:
Janet Riley
Vice President, Public Affairs
James Ratchford
Manager, Public Affairs

 share on facebook  share on twitter