Log in Join Grass Roots Action

250 Meat and Poultry Plants Recognized at AMIF Conference on Worker Safety, Health and Human Resources

Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Washington, DC, March 26, 2002 – More than 250 meat and poultry plants were recognized for outstanding safety performance at the American Meat Institute Foundation’s annual Conference on Worker Safety, Health and Human Resources in Nashville, TN, today.

“The 2001 Safety Awards Program illustrates the meat industry’s continuing commitment to improving safety and reducing worker illness and injury,” said AMI President J. Patrick Boyle. “The fact that more than 250 plants were recognized denotes significant progress in the industry through voluntary, self-imposed worker safety guidelines.”

Of the 258 plants recognized, 150 received special awards based on a program designed and administered by the National Safety Council (NSC), a nonprofit government, public service organization with 80 years of experience occupational health and safety.

The AMIF awards program encourages member companies to improve their safety performance through the establishment of sound safety and health programs at their plants.

The awards are based on an evaluation of each eligible plant’s actual safety performance, measured against Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data and an NSC-designed questionnaire which measures the implementation of various components of an effective safety and health program.

Out of the 1,500 points available in the combined categories, 900 (60 percent) may be earned based on the outcome of statistical analysis of the plant’s injury and illness data performed by NSC’s staff. The remaining 600 points (40 percent) may be earned by completing the safety program questionnaire, which measures the extent of key areas of safety programs, such as ergonomics and hazard prevention.

Twenty-four companies received the distinguished Award of Honor (1,250 to 1,500 points) – the highest award a plant can receive. Thirty-four plants were recognized with the Award of Merit (1,000 to 1,249 points), 45 plants were given the Award of Commendation (750 to 999) points, and 47 received the Award of Recognition (500 to 749 points). Also, 108 plants were recognized with the Golden Star Award, which honors achievement in worker safety in the past year. In all, AMIF recognized 258 plants with its Safety Recognition Awards program.

AMI represents the interests of packers and processors of beef, pork, lamb, veal and turkey products and their suppliers throughout North America. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute provides legislative, regulatory and public relations services, conducts scientific and economic research, offers marketing and technical assistance and sponsors education programs.

The AMI Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to research, education and information that benefit the meat and poultry industry. Originally created in 1944, the AMI Foundation today solicits grants from government, industry and other organizations to fund a broad range of food safety, worker safety, nutrition and consumer information projects.

For more information contact:
Janet Riley
Vice President, Public Affairs
Josee Daoust
Manager, Public Affairs

 share on facebook  share on twitter