FDA Announces Retail Food Safety Action PlanFriday, September 30, 2011
(American Meat Institute)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently announced its Retail Food Safety Action Plan.
The plan specifically calls for new state and local food safety requirements for retail food establishments and for training for personnel on food safety measures.
Key changes to 2009 Food Code recommendations contained in the new supplement include:
- Requiring that food establishments have a certified food protection manager on staff;
- New established duties of the person-in-charge;
- Requiring that food establishments have a plan for responding to and properly cleaning-up after an employee or other individual becomes physically ill in areas where food may be prepared, stored or served;
- Clarifying appropriate exceptions to the prohibition of bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods prepared in the establishment;
- Clarifying the requirements for the safe storage and display of ground and whole-muscle meat and poultry;
- New requirements for devices used to generate chemical sanitizers on- site in the food establishment;
- Establishing clearer guidelines for the amount time a food establishment should be given to correct violations of different types of provisions in the Food Code.
FDA also announced that it has established a cooperative agreement with the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO). Under this agreement, FDA and NACCHO will promote the use of best practices by local authorities, develop tools to strengthen retail food safety oversight and implement FDA’s Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards for retail food regulatory programs.
Also in support of the Plan, FDA announced issuance of a Supplement to the 2009 FDA Food Code that includes a new recommendation that retail food establishments employ at least one certified food protection manager.
For more information on the new recommendations, go to http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/FoodCode2009/ucm272584.htm.
share on facebook
share on twitter