FSIS Issues Directive 5420.1, Revision 6Friday, August 7, 2009
(American Meat Institute)
USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service yesterday issued Directive 5420.1, Revision 6: Homeland Security Threat Condition Response – Risk-Based Food Defense Verification Procedures.
In the event that the Department of Homeland Security declares a Threat Condition, this revised Directive provides a risk-based approach for food defense verification procedures that Inspection Program Personnel (IPP) would perform.
According to the Directive, key points covered are:
• a risk-based approach for scheduling food defense verification procedures
• how threat condition declarations will be communicated to field personnel
• how to respond to threat condition declarations
• how to effectively address and resolve noted security concerns in order to ensure that food is protected, thereby protecting public health
• how to determine if an establishment has developed, implemented, tested, and assessed, and maintains, a food defense plan
To read the reason for reissuance and Directive 5420.1, Revision 6 in its entirety, click here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISDirectives/5420.1Rev6.pdf
share on facebook share on twitter