FSIS Issues Update on Nationwide Turkey Microbiological Baseline Data Collection ProgramWednesday, June 11, 2008
(American Meat Institute)
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has issued Notice 40-08: Nationwide Young Turkey Microbiological Baseline Data Collection Program-Update.
This notice announces that the Food Safety and Inspection Service’s (FSIS) Nationwide Young Turkey Microbiological Baseline Data Collection Program (YTBS) is beginning, and that the 90-day training (“shake down”) period referred to in FSIS Notice 55-07, “Nationwide Young Turkey Microbiological Baseline Data Collection Program” has ended. Additionally, this notice:
1. cancels FSIS Notice 55-07, dated 8/31/07. The sampling instructions from that notice are included in this notice and have been slightly modified;
2. provides new sampling code numbers to be used for the baseline study;
3. provides revised questions that will appear in Block 28 of FSIS Form 10,210-3, “Requested Sample Programs” (the sampling request form); and
4. answers some of the questions which FSIS received during the “shake down” period.
During the baseline study, which will continue for a minimum of twelve months, testing will include collection of carcass sponge samples at Re-Hang and Post-Chill from young turkeys slaughtered in Federal establishments.
Upon receipt of this notice, inspection program personnel who will be collecting the samples are to review the following materials:
1. FSIS Directive 10,230.5 and the Self-Instruction Guide for Collecting Raw Meat and Poultry Product Samples for Salmonella Analysis
2. The DVD titled “Sampling Raw Meat and Poultry for Salmonella”.
3. FSIS Directive 10,210.1, Unified Sampling Form.
4. FSIS Directive 7355.1, Revision 2, Use of Sample Seals for Laboratory Samples and Other Applications.
Upon receipt of this notice, the Inspector-in-Charge (IIC) is to have an awareness meeting with plant management to inform them that the establishment will be part of the FSIS Nationwide Young Turkey Microbiological Baseline Data Collection Program and explain the program. The actual baseline study will commence with receipt of this notice.
For information on sampling procedures, see the notice in its entirety, at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISNotices/40-08.pdfshare on facebook share on twitter